Thursday, July 23, 2009

WHAT'S FOR DINNER & DIY DAY

VIDALIA ONION PIE
Oh me this is a yummy pie...I don't eat onions raw!!! Plain and Simple but oolaa this is so yummy! I thought when I first saw this no way I was not going to try this but a friend said try it...she made it so I knew I had no choice and from then on I always sample something even though I think it is not good. Taught me to do as I teach my own kids, "
"Don't say you don't like it when you have never tried it"
so from then on I always try something no matter what it is...most of the time I end up loving what I try. So grab some onions at the grocery store and go for it...if they are not sweet onions add a little bit of sugar to your recipe...


1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (Ritz or Town House)
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tbs butter
2 cups sliced sweet onions
2 eggs
3/4 cup half-and-half or buttermilk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese



Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl, mix together crushed crackers and 1/3 cup melted butter

Press mixture firmly into a 9 inch pie pan
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute onions

Spread into prepared crust.
In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper

Pour mixture over onions then sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until center is set

Head over to Joanna's & Kimba's for some linky Love!

10 comments:

Elise said...

That sounds and looks so yummy!! I am going to have to try that...
By the way, did you receive your package yet?? I think it should have been there by now. I sent it to your work.
Elise

Nice and Easy Antiques said...

We will so try this!!!! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love onions, but can't eat them raw because I am allergic to them. BUT...I can eat them if they are cooked! I'm soooooo gonna try this!
Thanks!

April said...

I love vidalia onions...this sounds like the perfect dish for me!

Delightful Dwelling said...

Yummy. We had this awesome vidalia onion tart on a cruise a few years ago and I've been wanting to make something like it again. This looks sooo good.

Shannon said...

I have never heard of anything like this but it does sound delicious!

Sara said...

I luuuurve onions and Vidalias are my favorite. I will be trying this--even if I'm the only one that eats it!

Jeni said...

you had me at butter and ritz! Over at tipjunkie.com she has girl birthday party ideas.

Ruby Red Slippers said...

I LOVE onions!!! I will be making this...even if I am the only one here eating it. I'll call over a friend-

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

That sounds so yummy! My husband and I love onions so I may give this a try!

Manuela