Thursday, May 7, 2009

WHAT'S FOR DINNER

Joanna over at This Southern Girl's Nest is hosting a new weekly post on What's For Dinner so I decided to grab her button and join in each week. We all need new ideas for supper so why not join in and create a new dish for your family.

Tonight will be Swanson Chicken Pot Pie....oh this is the best pot pie you can sink your fork in....so creamy and big chunks of chicken. Well really it is better than any of the other cheap brands. The crust is all the way through instead of just on the top. No matter we have to have a quick fix meal since ball games are tonight.

If I wasn't going to be at a ball game I would much rather have this...it is almost time to start fixing one of my favorite summertime meals....First time I ever ate this I was like oh my goodness this is so yummy! If you have never made a Tomatoe Pie you really need to try it. I am one who does not like tomatoes right off a vine but this pie is another whole level of eating....the cheese makes this dish so creamy.
As you all know Paula Dean is from Georgia and this is where I first heard of this dish. I thought no I can't imagine this being tasty but a friend of mine fixed this one night at a potluck couples dinner and I tasted it and it was delish. So you gotta try this out even if you don't like tomatoes.

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.


13 comments:

Jen~ Lipstick and Laundry said...

Tomato Pie looks YUMMY... I love summer kinds of food.... Now I just have to wait for my tomatoes to grow!!

Joanna said...

Thanks for linking up!

I love their pot pies!

Oh yum! I will have to try this tomato pie. I have never had one before but it looks so good and sounds very easy to make!

Jill said...

YUM! (on the tomato pie!) can't wait to try it!

Darlene said...

I have never heard of a tomato pie but that looks and sounds easy and delicious!

Farmchick said...

Looks terrific!

Christina said...

Oh my! The tomato pie sounds wonderful. Mmmm. I'm going to try this even if me and my hubby are the only ones that will eat it. I just bought some basil plants this week. We bought tomato plants too, but they will probably be awhile. Maybe we can find some good ones at the store. I plan on trying out your baked beans sometime this weekend.

We love pot pies too.

April said...

Tomato pie is to die for...I'm salivating at the very thought!

Elise said...

Oh my, I am gonna have to try this this weekend!! Looks so good!!
Elise

Ruby Red Slippers said...

The tomato pie sounds and looks sooo good-can you make me one?!

Unknown said...

I saw her make this a couple of weeks ago on her show. I was not too sure but I will take your word for it I will try this with some of our tomatoes! Thanks

Jeni said...

I have never had tomatoe pie but I usually love everything Paula Dean!

Anonymous said...

Oh my gosh! I never thought I'd think tomato pie sounded good, but um, yes please! Hope you're having a great day...oh, and I just got your birdie listed! I'll send you an email right now. :)
-jes

M.L. @ The House of Whimsy said...

You're right, this does look delicious. Thanks for sharing. And I LOVE your new header!!