Tuesday, May 17, 2011

SUMMER GOODNESS

I was reading over at Melissa's blog about some recipes her family has tried over the last few months. Well it got me to thinking about posting a couple of my favorite summer dishes. Do you have seasonal recipes that you fix only during the season?


Tomato Pie
4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 cup chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 cup grated mozzarella
1 cup grated cheddar
1 cup mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.

Another favorite: 


 
Vidalia Onion Pie

1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (Ritz or Town House)
1/3 cup butter, melted
2 tbs butter
2 cups sliced sweet onions
2 eggs
3/4 cup half-and-half or buttermilk
3/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/2 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese



Preheat oven to 350 degrees
In a medium bowl, mix together crushed crackers and 1/3 cup melted butter
Press mixture firmly into a 9 inch pie pan
Heat a medium skillet over medium heat. Melt 2 tablespoons butter and saute onions

Spread into prepared crust.
In a medium bowl, mix together eggs, half-and-half, salt, and pepper

Pour mixture over onions then sprinkle top with shredded cheese.
Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, until center is set.
 
Happy Summer Eating!

 

5 comments:

Unknown said...

those sound really good thanks for sharing :)

Joanna said...

I have heard of and seen recipes for such as these, but always leery in trying them. For some reason all I can think of is sweet when I hear pie and not savory. :)

Paula@SweetPea said...

We sould enjoy either of these. I'm really looking forward to a good, fresh tomato!

Tam said...

HMM Tomato PIE!!!!!! I will try that one! Hope all is great up there!

Melissa said...

Beth~These sound sooo good! I am all of a sudden very hungry :) Thanks for sharing~