Tuesday, January 18, 2011

COMFORT FOOD ON A RAINY DAY IN GEORGIA

I picked up the current issue of Southern Living last week. I tried the Game Day Chili and let me say I was jumping up and down, yes literally, when my hubby said he liked this dish. My hubby cooks a lot on the side for wedding rehearsals and other events so when he said it was really tasty I was ecstatic.  So I thought I would share this with my readers.

Let me know if you try it.



Ingredients

  • 2  pounds  ground chuck
  • 1  medium onion, chopped
  • 3  to 4 garlic cloves, minced
  • 2  (15-ounce) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
  • 3  (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
  • 1  (12-ounce) bottle dark beer
  • 1  (14 1/2-ounce) can beef broth
  • 1  (6-ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1  (4.5-ounce) can chopped green chiles
  • 2  tablespoons  chili powder
  • 1  tablespoon  Worcestershire sauce
  • 2  teaspoons  ground cumin
  • 1  to 2 teaspoons ground red pepper
  • 1  teaspoon  paprika
  • 1  teaspoon  hot sauce
  • Garnish: pickled jalapeño pepper slices

Preparation

Cook first 3 ingredients in a Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
Combine meat mixture, beans, and next 11 ingredients in Dutch oven; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours or until thickened. Garnish, if desired.

I did not use dark beer since I did not have any at home. I live in a small small community and with the rain all day yesterday I just used another can of beef broth instead of going 25 miles to town. It does have that mentioned in the article of how you can change things up a bit. I also left out the green chilies. I also used kidney beans instead of pinto beans.

Oh yeah also we had some lacy cornbread. Those who don't know what lacy cornbread is just add cornmeal and water mixed and fry in a hot greased cast iron pan.

Images from Internet

4 comments:

April said...

I saw that recipe in Southern Living and thought it sounded really good...apparently it's a WINNER!

Unknown said...

the chili sounds wonderful but that cornbread is what I would love to have right now

Carrie

Paula@SweetPea said...

That recipe was in SL a few years ago and I've been making it ever since. It must be good if they printed it again in a current issue. I usually just use whatever beer my husband has in the refrigerator and it works fine.

Sarah said...

It does sound good. I love Southern Living mag! I used to read it, but most of its gardening stuff doesn't apply to me anymore and the rest of it just makes me miss the south. I always found a lot of treasures in there though, esp the recipes! Thanks for sharing!