Sunday, August 15, 2010

FROM THE GARDEN: FRESH FROZEN FRENCH FRIES

Wanna eat some great fries for a little bit of cost compared to store bought ones...also the best way to put your own french fries up....this is how...first plant your seeds and wait till your plant has come up and the bloom has bloomed...then dig and you have potatoes. Wash and peel or not peel, that is your choice.

Frozen French Fries

Wash, peel and cut potatoes into 3/8 inch strips. Rinse them in cold water to remove starch and drain well. Spread them on a cookie sheet in a single layer, brush with melted butter, bake at 450 degrees, turning occasionally, until golden brown and tender. Cool freeze on a cookie sheet. Place frozen fries in freezer bags and label.
To serve, spread in a single layer on cookie sheet and bake 450 until brown. I always use Pam on my cookie sheet...so that is simple as can be and we now don't buy Ora Ida and fix our own.

8 comments:

Farmchick said...

Good idea! I make my own home fries but we eat them right away...I never though of freezing them Thanks for sharing...stop over and say hi! :)

Joanna said...

I always make home made fries, they just taste better...at least too us. I have never thought of freezing them though...Great tip!!

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

I have never thought to freeze them!

Andora said...

That is an awesome idea..I love potatoes about anyway you fix them...and I would say rinsing the starch out is key..wouldn't you?? thanks for sharing

Darlene said...

What a GREAT idea!!

Em said...

Oooh, being able to make tons and freeze them makes it so much more likely that I would do my own fries! Thanks for the "duh" tip :) You are so smart!

Miller Racing Family said...

Now this looks fabulous. I have printed the recipe and we are trying it this week.
Thanks for sharing and have a fabulous day!

Paula@SweetPea said...

This is a great tip. With only two people in our house, a bag of potatoes sometimes goes bad before we eat them all. I could use a bunch of the potatoes for frozen fries and then not waste a single potato. Yeah!