Thursday, July 2, 2009

WHAT'S FOR DINNER?


Tomato Pie

4 very ripe tomatoes
1/2 medium vidalia onion
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1 cup shredded mozzarella
6 slices bacon crumbled
1 cup mayonnaise
fresh basil I use 10 leaves
salt/pepper to taste
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer.
Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes. I also will deseed the tomato if I have time....be sure and at least core the top out.
Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell.
Season with salt and pepper.
Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together.
Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.
To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.
Oh yeah baby...this pie is to die for...even those who don't like tomatoes and I do NOT eat them raw but I love this dish...It is so yummy! Please let me know if you try this cause I would love to hear what you all think about this pie. Be sure and head over the Joanna's for her regular Thursday post on What's For Dinner? I would love to get some new recipes from all my buddies...doesn't have to be a full course meal just something that you may fix to go with your dinners...today Joanna has a 4th of July recipe that looks so yummy! So head on over!
Be sure and stop over at Kimba's. She is having a linky party...DIY and my goodness the different projects people are sharing...some simple things for this non crafty lady! Even recipes are included!

17 comments:

Michele said...

OMG Beth, this sounds to die for! I love tomatoes...raw more than cooked! I end up with cold sores all over my mouth by the end of the summer!

Have a wonderful 4th!

Hugz,
Michele

Kasey said...

That looks so yummy! We have a garden full of tomatoes. I will so have to give this a try! thanks for sharing!!

Jill said...

YUMMMMM! Guess that will be our dinner...I can't wait!
Thanks for sharing!! :)

Kimba said...

Oh. My. Word. This sounds fantastic! I am definitely making this for our party this weekend. YUM!

Kimba

Nicole A. said...

Yummm! I love tomatoes and this looks and sounds Awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

Joanna said...

Thanks for linking up!

I have always been afraid to try tomato pie...but this sounds yummy and I may have to make it this summer!

Elise said...

Sounds delicious!! I am gonna have to make it by the fruit stand and store to make this. Oh my goodness...
Elise

April said...

If I don't try this recipe...call me CRAZY! Thank you BIG TIME! :)

Lindsay-ann said...

I am not a tomato lover at all. I wish I actaully did like them because they are so good for you. Your recipe does sound very tempting. I love cheese, basil and mayonnaise so I may just give this a try.
Thanks for sharing.
Lindsay
x

jeanne @ Inspiring Ideas said...

Wow! I've never heard of this! But you had me at baked mozzarella!!!!

Jen @ tatertotsandjello.com said...

That tomato pie sounds so good! I am going to make that soon. Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hope you have a happy fourth!

XOXO
Jen

Jeni said...

I have never tried anything like it before. I love all the ingredients and put them all together and hot....yum. It looks pretty too.

Anonymous said...

Looks and sounds delicious!


P.S. My blog name has changed, but if you pay me a visit, I hope you will remember me and add me to your blog list again.
Thanks!

gina said...

Tried it---LOVED IT---posted it and link it---on my blog! YUM! Thanks!

Christina said...

Congratulations on being featured over at Kimba's. Looks delish though I'll admit that tomatoes can sometime scare me. I don't often eat raw tomatoes, but love cooked ones. But, hey I should give it a try if we ever get any home grown tomatoes in our garden (they are doing terrible) or maybe I'll send hubby to the Farmers mkt. close to his office. I do plan on trying your baked beans the next time we have a cookout.

McNew Family said...

I am a sworn tomato HATER, but I think we will have to try this one! Thanks for sharing!

~Sandy said...

I'm going to have to try this one...my hubby would probably love it. Thanks for sharing:) I was just out blog hoppin and wanted to say hello!